Apr 17, 2012

Urge to Purge

Most of my friends know I’m not a huge fan of cleaning. In fact I kind of look at it the way Erma Bombeck, an American comedian, did when she said, “My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance.” However, when spring rolls around I inevitably start to suffer from that seasonal affliction known as ‘spring cleaning fever’. I think this annual urge to purge is one reason Easter has never been important to me. By the time it rolls around I’m in the mood to get rid of bunnies – dust bunnies that is -- not welcome more bunnies (mythological, chocolate or otherwise) into my home.
I’ve learned though that the trick is not to be too ambitious. Up until this year I would start my spring cleaning full force, determined to put Martha Stewart herself to shame. I’d root out clothes that hadn’t been worn since high school, scrub spots that hadn’t seen a dishcloth since we moved in, and wash windows as though my life depended on them being spotless. But there was a problem (besides the fact that I hate cleaning.) The fever usually only lasted about 24-hours and so I’d end up with piles of stuff everywhere, and only about half the windows and half the spots cleaned up. That meant the house looked even worse, the unclean parts seemed even dirtier next to the sparkling clean areas. So this year I’m setting my sights much lower – chasing a few dust bunnies around, purging some clothes, maybe doing a bit of laundry. And when that fever hits hard, I’ll grab my honey and head outside. After all there’s more than one kind of fever one can succumb to when spring hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment