Oct 26, 2011

Shoes, Glorious Shoes

After reading that the US is “mulling” the idea of fencing the Canada-US borderto “help keep out terrorists and other criminals”, I thought, “Crikey, here’s a perfect editorial topic.” Then, I reconsidered. After all, why dwell on how badly Obama has let us down, when we could instead discuss something far more interesting and timely – shoes. Yes, shoes. They are a timely subject, for the seasons are a’ changing and when that happens, almost every woman in the northern hemisphere peers into her closet with one question in mind – how can I justify buying new shoes for the new season? I’ll admit many (though not all) men find the topic of shoes confusing, but there is a fundamental reason women everywhere love shoes: no matter what size or shape we are, all of us look fabulous in a great pair of shoes. Like a good friend, shoes support us, are there for life’s ups and downs, and help us celebrate every occasion. There’s the, “let’s party shoe”, the “I need to be comfortable shoe” and the “I’m a professional, take-me-seriously shoe”. There are even shoes for women who profess to not care about shoes (Birkenstocks anyone?). However, there is one problem with shoes I never thought I’d fall prey to – owning too many. Then a friend wanted to know how many pairs of shoes I had. I said no more than 10, and was quite shocked to discover the number was, ahem, slightly higher. As a result, I’m now on a shoe-buying moratorium, living vicariously through other people. Well, I was, until I looked at my favourite-shoe website, El Naturalista. And suddenly I’m thinking…one more pair can’t hurt, right? After all, I don’t yet own a “jumping across a completely unnecessary border-fence shoe”.

No comments:

Post a Comment